Sunday, February 20, 2011

Birth of the cyclone

Yesterday, amidst the crazy winds and the National Christmas Tree toppling, was Kelsey's 23rd birthday. Kelsey, of Kelsey and Chelsea, went to Denison with me, is in my sorority, is infamous for breakin out the cyclone, and (lucky for me) currently lives and works in DC. Of course, a birthday celebration is not complete without a cake (see birthday cake for my housemate Sydney; it's on the baking blog that i share with Kayla). So i made a Margarita birthday cake, because no other cake could match up to the cyclone that is Kelsey. Chocolate cake? Nah. Plain white on white? Booring. Let's break out of the box and turn a crazy cocktail into a cake. And of course, no margarita cake would be complete without this ingredient found in both the cake and icing:

Personally, I'm not a fan. But in a cake? Why not.

ahh..the fruits of my labor. (haha get it!?)

A word about the cake: I adapted it from a cupcake recipe. I doubled the recipe to make a 2-layer cake, failing to take into account how not-substantial the icing was and how much it was meant for a cupcake-form. I worried about the cake's stability. I tried to give it a little encouragement by adding sprinkles. They were festive and gave it that little extra push it needed to stay together...i think. But cake and I braved the 30mph+ winds to Kelsey's birthday shindig. I never got a decent picture of the final product but I was able to snag this one of the birthday girl herself digging in:

While i'm not a huge fan of tequila, or maragaritas for that matter, the cake was very tasty...i think the crowd of intoxicated party-goers agreed.. Perfectly sweet and you could taste every flavor ..lime..tequila.. Cupcake form would be exceptional if I do say so myself. Also exceptional was seeing Kelsey, Chelsea, and Alison, and catching up and meeting new people.

Happy Birthday Kels!

1 comment:

  1. woo! and I am so sorry I only got a couple bites of it. it was great to see you too, so glad you also braved the winds and came by!

    ReplyDelete