Thursday, February 21, 2013

On running and injuries and coming back and being smart and including too many "and"s in my title

Until spring of last year, my short little running career had been injury free. As an avid new runner, I read every word of Runners World and running blogs, and I knew of the range of injuries that lay ahead of me. And I was waiting. But all that reading did little to prepare me for when I actually faced my first injury.  I found myself frustrated and convinced that I would never recover and I would always be running with this twinge of pain. But LO AND BEHOLD, with rest and smart recovery/return to running, the pain disappeared and I ran a marathon that fall.  

Which brings me to winter of this year.  Coming off of a successful marathon, I did not want to see my current level of fitness decrease. I think this mindset made me push myself more, when I should have been taking it easy post-marathon.  I mean, maybe not, but I'm on a self-critiquing binge right now. So. Long story short, I had a pain in my calf muscle that came and went, would disappear when I was running, but sometimes not! Would sometimes stick around after a run, sometimes not! Well when it finally got too painful  to continue on a run (okay, I should have made this decision sooner) I decided to take a break and get rid of the pain.  

And taking a break did not come easily.  I would get antsy after a day or two of not running and hop on the elliptical. Or take a spin class. And I would do this for a few days, attempt to run again, and be in shock when my calf still hurt.  I wanted to have pain-free runs. So, hopefully you can see where this is going, I went cold turkey. No exercise, nothin. For five days. (Forgive me for being dramatic, but) Five whole days. Five days where I spent every second wondering if I should maybe try running just a little bit because maybe, just maybe, my calf would be better and healed.  After the fifth day I ran! And it was slow and awkward, but it was virtually painless and I was happy.  

I hope this second time around I can finally learn my lesson.  When I do get an injury I need that rest.  And I will not lose my fitness, but if I do, it's really not the end of the world because I will be able to come back strong.  Right now, I have an extremely positive outlook on my running future (and nothing hinges on how much I blog and what I blog about).  I'm easing back into running. I intend on cross training/lifting a little more in order to mix things up and make myself strong. And my dad and I have signed up for the Flying Pig half in May and the Chicago full in October.  I have a lot to look forward to, including good health and happy running.  

No comments:

Post a Comment